For some, mid-October means that Halloween is approaching, as are other holidays…but for cheerleaders, mid-October means competition season is about to begin! Before even thinking about competing, you must tackle the showcase. This is your first time performing your routine in front of people, aside from members of your gym and your coaches. Here are some tips for a successful showcase day:
• Show up ready and prepared, just like its competition day.
• Invite family and friends to see not only your progress, but your teams as well.
• Nutrition on the morning of is very important. Nobody wants to feel fatigued as they’re running for their tumbling pass.
• PERFORM!!!!!!! This is the best place to be silly and really get into your routine.
• If you make a mistake, it’s not the end of the world. Remind yourself that it’s just a showcase and this is your first time in front of a crowd! Better to happen here than at an actual competition.
• Celebrate your routine and create lasting memories with teammates.
A showcase is a great way to kick off a season and let the athletes get a feel of what it’ll feel like in a couple weeks when they actually have to compete and get scored. Keep in mind that this performance does not make or break your season; it’s just the beginning of what’s to come. Good luck! Go out there and do the best you can.